CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

Never Before Seen Footage From the ER

**I would like to start this post by saying, if you don't like blood, you may not want to look at what is coming!**

I had tons of people asking me more about my trip to the ER (which was only my second time there EVER), so I thought I would give you the full scoop on my stitches. Roger and I rolled into the ER at approximately 9:02 p.m. It was Saturday night, so we were fully expecting to see some wierdos there, but no such luck. I would like to note that Roger is an AMAZING friend to go to the ER with high-maintenance me on a Saturday night! There were probably about 1 million other things he would rather be doing, but he knew I needed support and he offered to come with me. THANK YOU SO MUCH ROG!!

After waiting for about 45 minutes, we finally got into a room. (Good thing we were on the "fast track.") Here is how my leg looked when they took off the bandages Roger put on at the race. Thank goodness Roger slathered on the Neosporin, because it kept the wound moist for the 9 HOURS between the accident and the stitches!

After waiting for FOREVER, they did the initial assessment of the damage, and it was clear I was going to need stitches. Roger reassured me that it was the right thing to do because he said shaving would be a huge pain if I had deep scars on my calf. At this point in the evening, I believed EVERY word Roger told me, so stitches it was! Next came the local, which consisted of I think 4 shots in the wound to numb it. I didn't cry, but I did have to do some deep breathing to get to my happy place. Roger informed me that he was not going to look either!

When it was all over, my wound was numb and I was much happier :) I appreciate Roger so much for chatting my ear off this whole time! I now know RT's entire LIFE story, so if there is ever a trivia game on random facts about Roger Thompson, I am SO money! He is such a great guy and he made me laugh so many times it was ALMOST fun to be at the ER!!


Next came the cleaning and the nurse scrubbed my leg like crazy! She did a really good job of getting all that stinkin' grease off! Apparently she used some cleaner that I had never heard of, but Roger had, so if you are looking for a good cleaner, ask Rog. It worked miracles on my leg! (I thought the dripping blood was a nice touch...)


After my leg was cleaned, we waited around for FOREVER again for the doctor to come in and stitch me up. Initially, he estimated 6 or 7 stitches. But I ended up with 11! One of my favorite memories from the evening was when the doc was giving me the lowdown on not working out with my wound. He said I would need to wait atleast a week, if not longer, to ride my bike. Rog was sitting behind the doctor shaking his head and mouthing the words "NO!! Two days!" Then the doctor said I would have to wait until the stitches were out to run again. Rog shook his head again and mouthed the words "NO!! Three days!" The doctor had no idea Roger was underminding his authority on the matter, and it was HILARIOUS! As I said earlier...at this point I believed every word Roger told me!


Finally, my leg was all patched up and ready to go! It only took 2 1/2 hours, and that was on the fast track! Roger and I were both yawning by the end and we were ready to go home for sure!


As we were leaving, the nurse offered me some cutting tools that she had used to cut my bandages and stuff, but I didn't need them because I already had a set from the last time I was in the ER (that is a WHOLE other story!). So I offered them to Rog and he was thrilled! He is going to use them for bike tools, of course! Who knew you could get parting gifts from the ER!?! Look how happy his face is :) Priceless!

Rog, one more shout out for hanging with me the whole time and making my visit to the ER a blast! I know we didn't have time to go over my life story, but I enjoyed every minute of yours :) Thanks for taking all of the killer pictures! I owe you big time friend, and as far as I am concerned, you are the sweetest guy in town! I mean 2 1/2 hours in the ER on a Saturday night, after driving for 6 hours, for some chick who isn't your wife...who does that!?!
*************
A side note: After telling my first grade students the story at school today, one of them raises their hand and says, "Miss Cudney, did you fall because you were riding without your training wheels?" Gotta LOVE first graders!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great recap of your night at the ER! I was cracking up picturing Smiggles mouthing how long you REALLY needed to wait to work out again. Hilarious! Glad you added in some pics of your war wound. They are awesome!

Steve said...

Gotta love the ER. I am definitely not a fan of the hospital but if you can have someone there to make you laugh throughout, it must help. I too was laughing just seeing Smiggles telling you how long he thought. For some reason I can also picture him putting bunny ears as the doctor was stitching you up. Glad to hear you are on theh road to recovery.

Roger Thompson said...

This was one of those nights that could have lasted until 3:00am... the ER on a Saturday night. I think I worked my magic with the receptionists when we checked in and Tric was moved up because of the potential' spinal injury and she 'might' be pregnant... did I mention the shooting pain in her arm? In all reality, all she needed was stiches... not a real 'high priority' compared to the gal holding the puke bucket AND in a wheel chair. Then there was the guy who cut the bottom of his forearm working on his car, and the blood was seeping through the thick cloth bandage. When he was filling out his paperwork he was resting his arm on the chair and smearing his blood on the arm of the chair. Both Tric and I looked at each other and raised out eyebrows. But Tric did her 'wrinkled nose' smile, which would have been accompanied by a smart ass comment... which did not come because of proximity.

It was a pretty fun night all in all. Tric was quite a trooper. I was impressed that she did not shed a tear once... not even when I poked her in the eye to see if she would blink.

The ER is way more fun when you are not the one that needs the help. It's pretty fun to be there with someone that has a good spirit and is willing to see the humor in just about everything... even if I had to point it out. Can't say that the RN or other staff really knew what to think. But that's pretty normal. When they left, I think there was a tear in their eyes knowing that it was time for us to go.

Roger

jessithompson said...

You are one hard core beeeatch! Way to go, girl!!! My hubby's top notch for sure and his humor can definitely take your mind off of things.

Kim said...

So the ER story makes the blog. Nice work. RT you rock! So glad you're okay and healing like a champ. I just can not imagine life without the help of friends.

Love ya!
Kim

Sheena (DUR) said...

So...wanna go running? ha! Just kidding!